This message is from: GAIL RUSSELL <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

/steve wrote: It's just a matter of figuring out what's causing
>the pain and treating it accordingly (which isn't always easy).

Got home and looked up colic and digestive tract anatomy in my "Veterinary
Notes for Horses."  This book is probably oversimplified, but it leads me to
believe a couple things.

1)  The twist I saw during the autopsy was a twisting of the large intestine
(blown up, easily 8 inches in diameter - I presume this is not "small
intestine") that cut off the blood supply to  the rest of the gut, not a
twisting in the small intestine just past the stomach.  I was confused in
listening and watching.  Most of her gut showed signs of being blown up,
except the far "aft end," and much of it was purple and dead looking.  I
wanted to go back out and do my own, more thorough autopsy later.  Jim
stopped me.  (Probably a wise move :))  I still have some suspicion this
started as an impaction,but see # 2

2)Anyway...in reading my book...it clearly said that the violent symptoms
Luisa was showing were likely from some kind of twist.  Had I known that,
and been able to evaluate critically, I might have pointed out a few more
things to the vet BEFORE he masked her symptoms with Banamine.  So...this
book is probably too simplified, but it leads me to believe the vet could
have done SOME differential diagnosis and, with knowledge, I might have been
more helpful to him;

3)  I don't really blame the vet.  He was in cattle country.  He was CLEARLY
not a horse vet.  Two local people volunteered to us (with no prodding or
hinting at all from us) that there was only one vet in the practice who did
all the horses...except, of course....when the others were on call.  This
vet probably was afraid to tube, for fear he would kill her, or get hurt
himself.  Probably even afraid to do a rectal on her.  No one can afford
colic surgery easily with depression-era cattle prices and loss of BLM
grazing lands.  Furthermore, they are far enough from a surgery near Redding
that most horses who are taken there probably do die or suffer long term
consequences because they are treated too late.  Next time I would probably
load her in the trailer (I had her in the trailer, but the vet said he did
not want me to bring her) and drive the one hour to the vet....which was one
hour closer to the surgery.

4)  Fjord owners really should find out what surgery costs (my vet quoted me
$4500 to $5000 at DAvis) and DECIDE what your policy is on surgery before
this happens to you.  Maybe you should get colic surgery insurance?  Maybe
the Strongid C program is worth doing?  I had not gotten mortality insurance
on this horse (who, I believe was a very fine Fjord...possibly even Blue
Medallion material) out of denial and the concern that the insurance company
might make me torture my horse by not allowing her to be put down when it
needed to be done.  I will now look into insurance - both colic and
mortality - for Romulus.   Would be interested in hearing others'
experiences with mortality insurance.  My mom had it on a $20,000 arab mare
(20 years ago - during the boom.)  She colicked...and did not die.  Then the
company yanked the insurance (or refused to renew..not sure) and she
colicked and died.

>The problem isn't so much lack of research (there is plenty), but more of
>a lack of what diagnostic tools are available that we can take to the
>barn with us practically.

What are these tools?  Do you have them available to you at your
office/surgery?  Or do you have to go to a surgical site for the more
sophisticated evaluation?

Gail Russell
Forestville CA
[EMAIL PROTECTED]