This message is from: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Jean,

Have you considered that the problem with your horse's foot is (to quote
someone else's words) a "phyto-photo-dermatitis"? (In normal words, a
non-allergic chemical burn that occurs when sunlight reacts with certain
plant juices after they get on the skin).

Wild parsnip (Pastinaca sativa) is one (midwestern?) plant that can
cause such burns, which are most severe in humans when the juice gets on
areas of lightly pigmented skin that have little hair.

It took several weeks for my arms to recover from ugly wild parsnip
burns I received last summer when working out in bright sunlight in an
overgrown field filled with the stuff. (I didn't know what I was getting
into at the time or I would have worn long sleeves and avoided the stuff
like the plague!)

Result of wild parsnip exposure in humans: day after exposure to plant
juice: exposed area will be sore as if scalded, later: blisters, red
weals that look like infected scratches, long healing time.

Treatment in humans: Wash thoroughly after exposure to remove juice from
skin. Don't break blisters to prevent secondary infection. Keep broken
blisters dry and protected to minimize possibility of secondary
infection. Use cortisone based ointment or systemic cortisone medication
if necessary.

Your comment that it's only on that one white foot joggled my memory
about this.

DeeAnna