This message is from: Marsha Jo Hannah <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

> "Denise Delgado" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> i would like to get a new saddle.  will a three year old's back change
> markedly from now to maturity?

Yup.

> in otherwords will the saddle still fit in five years?

Nope.

I bought Rom when he was 5, and Sleepy when he was 4.  Each got an
OrthoFlex saddle custom-fit to them within a year.  I suspect that
both of those saddles now are less than perfect fits (although we
still use both of them---on the rare occasions that we find time to
ride!), as we're getting some hair-ruffling in spots that we didn't
used to.  I can see from photos that the boys aren't nearly the same
shapes now (ages 17 and 14) that they were when I bought them, or at
various ages inbetween.

The "translation" from horse-years to human-years is that a horse ages
5 "people-years" per calendar-year for the first 4 calendar-years,
then 3 people-years per calendar-year after that.  So, a 3-year-old
horse is roughly a 15-year-old human.  Think how much your body has
changed between when you were 15, vs now....  He'll fill out, then
change "baby fat" into muscle, then probably start accumulating pudge,
all of which will change his back shape.

I bought my donkey a good pack saddle and a nice harness (with a
"tree" fitted to her) when she was 3 years old.  By the time she was
5, neither of them fit her right, and we've got some "issues" left
from her anticipating that any saddle is going to hurt her!

Marsha Jo Hannah                Murphy must have been a horseman--
[EMAIL PROTECTED]               anything that can go wrong, will!
15 mi SW of Roseburg, Oregon