This message is from: Mary Thurman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

--- Denise Delgado <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> This message is from: "Denise Delgado"
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>
> so, mary,  that means if a fjord crowds you, you
> have to have a halter on
> him at that moment to teach him that crowding is not
> cool.  if you have to
> go and get the halter and put it on,  he will  not
> put the two incidents
> together in his mind;

Denise,

The 'halter driving' thing is an exercise you do -
like many other training exercises - to teach the
horse or mule the 'proper' response to your presence.
Once he learns the 'right way' to do things, you can
ask him to move away and give you some space at any
time - whether he has a halter on or not.  For
example:  one of our horses was fond of crowding me in
the stall.  Our trainer showed me how to 'drive him
away'(just involves going around the stall with him
circling/moving away from you around the outside of
the stall) from me in the stall WITH the halter and
rope on him.  Once he learned that pushing me around
in the stall had consequences - and learned to move
away when asked to - I could 'remind' him of his
manners without the halter and lead.  Whenever I enter
the stall with any of my horses, I ask them to please
move over and give me room.  And DON'T ever present me
with the 'rear view', thank you very much! These
things are more easily taught while the horse is still
small, but can also be taught to the 'big boys/girls'
as well.  When I am with my horses - in a stall, in
the arena, in the pasture, wherever - I want their
attention on me!!  They need to be paying attention
and not jostling me around - that means they 'face up'
and watch - no butts.  They are friendly, agreeable
horses and love attention, but they know-for the most
part-that manners are required.

I use the 'nail thing' at times on a particularly
recalcitrant one who insists on 'laying over' on you
in a tie stall or in a trailer when you need to get by
them to untie or clean or whatever.  Sometimes you
just have to 'bite back' to protect yourself - other
horses do.  Remember how small a person is compared to
a horse - and remember how horses treat each other in
the herd.  I double we could do much damage, and it
does help with the respect thing. I've seen a woman
pay the consequences of getting into a 'squeeze' with
a horse in a trailer - what gave was her ribs!!  Not
fun!

Mary

=====
Mary Thurman