This message is from: Mary Thurman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

--- GAIL RUSSELL <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> This message is from: GAIL RUSSELL
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>
>  Another thing that Fjords do which
> >is 'mule-like' is LEAN on you/try to push you
> around
> >with their shoulder.  If you use commonly accepted
> >'mule methods' to conteract this, it works like a
> >charm.  I know, I've tried it.
>
> And what would this method be? :)

Well, let's see....it sounds a little complicated
until you get the 'hang' of it, but it basically
involves a little 'halter driving'.  Driving the horse
or mule forward in a circle while on a halter, and
using 'pressure' from the end of the halter rope to
teach him than he is to move away from you and not
come over towards you and either step on you or bump
you with his body.  Kind of a 'my space, your space'
type of thing.  I've had a couple of Fjords that would
bump into you/step on you 'accidentally' - "gee I
didn't know you were there".  What they are actually
doing is pushing you around.  A person doesn't weight
enough to get anywhere by phsically pushing back, so
you have to 'mentally' push them back.

Brad Cameron, from Montana, gives clinics on
mulemanship.  I believe he also has tapes available to
those interested.  His website is: www.muletrainer.com

Not all Fjords are this pushy, but some are,
unfortunately.  Using mule methods allows the Fjord
time to "think" about what you're asking instead of
just being expected to 'react' - which is what many
modern horse training methods are based on.

Hope this helps.

Mary

=====
Mary Thurman