This message is from: Marsha Jo Hannah <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

> From: "Richard Stewart" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> Date: Fri, 22 Mar 2002 09:22:12 -0800

Hmmm, I see that FJORDHORSE is still "constipated".  Richard's message
took 2+ DAYS to get to me....

> Does anyone have an opinion on Orthaflex saddles for Fjords.
> Do they fit?  Do they cause soreness?  Any input concerning
> Orthaflex would be appreciated.  Thanks.

The biggest problem is WHICH OrthoFlex?  Over the years, the OrthoFlex
company has made several models, using multiple technologies of "flex
fit".  Recently, the original company went under, and the name was
bought by someone else.  My experience has been with a 1989
Traditional model, custom-fit to my husband's "oil drum" Fjord
gelding, and a 1991 Express model, semi-custom made for my Fjord
gelding, who almost has withers.  Both saddles are on western-like
trees, with no horns, and very hybrid riggings for the girths and
stirrups.

The 1989 saddle fit that horse very well, and solved some behavioral
problems we were having.  (I think the poor horse had probably never
seen a saddle that didn't rub/poke somewhere!)  However both my
husband and I find the seat of the saddle to be mildly
uncomfortable---it has "corners" over the tree, and gives me the
impression that the saddle tree wasn't perfectly upright, when it was
shimmed underneath to fit the casting we made of the horse's back.

The 1991 saddle came with neoprene shims, to be put into the saddle's
"booties" (fake fleece fitted half-pads), to "adjust" the fit.  I
never did find a combination that I thought was a really GOOD fit,
although without any shims, the fit is certainly adequate.  I have had
a problem with the rear edges of the "flex panels" wearing the hair
off of my horse's loins.  (I hear that endurance vets have named this
the OrthoFlex rub!)  On the short rides that we do (did?), it never
got to the point of causing sores, probably because Fjords have lots
of hair to spare.  ;-)  I find the seat of this saddle to be quite
comfortable.

BTW, neither of our horses can use the other's saddle, which would
lead me to disbelieve any "one size fits all" claims that the company
makes.

As with all things equine, YMMV....

Marsha Jo Hannah                Murphy must have been a horseman--
[EMAIL PROTECTED]               anything that can go wrong, will!
15 mi SW of Roseburg, Oregon