This message is from: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

In a message dated 1/13/02 11:41:15 PM Mountain Standard Time,
[EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

<<
   "IF IT'S EASIER, MORE COMFORTABLE, FASTER FOR YOU, IT'S PROBABLY NOT
                      THE BEST FOR THE HORSES."

   Great point Carol, and I totally agree with this. Also, of course there
are exceptions to every young horse / young kids together, and your comments
with handleing are right on.

   Funny about the 2 Fjords you met being biters and kickers. I have a mare
here, a wonderful example of good breeding ( GJEST daughter ) and has won her
large confirmation class, at the Turlock show in 98 ( great Fjord
confirmation ) , who will kick your head off, if given the chance when shes
mad. She does not like to be cornered, or forced to move, tie ect. She gets
very pissy when shes medicated or wormed, and one has to really watch it, as
she has fired 2 back feet ( with shoes ) at my head, missing me by one inch.
I still remember feeling the " breeze " as her hoofs cleared my face, as I
ducked just in time. The offense ?  I was brushing her out, after a sweaty
workout, and she kept trying to get closer, smash me into the hitchen post,
and I had given her a small " get over " push. She disagreed about it, and
fired a shot at me.....I will never forget. If she had connected, I would be
dead, with a full-on face kick at close range. Shes the only Fjord we trained
to drive that didnt LIKE to drive at all, and was subject to temper tantrums
( as seen at the same Turlock show in the mens to drive class ) so we retired
her from driving. She is a wonderful mother, carries her foals to term, with
one aborbed 2 years ago. She foals big beautiful good disposition babies, but
interestingly, she is a very premissive mother, allowing her youngsters to
jump and climb all over her, so they can be a handful when first weaned. My
vet thinks that she suffers from real hormonal problems or undiagnosed cysts,
as her behavior is stud-like at times. I have seen her " teasing " and trying
to mount other horses. A couple of times, she tried it with Jeff, after a
lunging session, where she reared up and tried to " mount " him as he walked
away. We now handle her like a stud, and do not give her chances to hurt us.
She is dominent ( surprise ) in a herd, with food around, and finally after 3
years, now have her in a group setting, with a favorite gelding she rules,
and some very tough alpha mares she backs down too. If her foals showed these
traits, we wouldnt have her, or breed her, but they do not. As you know, her
breeding is good, also on her dams side, and her behavior in my opinion, is
early training, or cysts or both.

   She is not the only Fjord who will try and kick, but she sure stands out
as one who will, when pushed to do anything she dosnt want to do.

           Lisa Pedersen / Pedersens Fjords * Cedar City, UT.   warm, sunny,
going to be 70 degrees at work today in St. George.