This message is from: "Dagrun Aarsten" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Hello folks,

it's been a while since I've been in touch. I am having a great time in
Norway, even though my body is not used to the cold anymore (California is
definitely warmer!). Thanks to everybody sending greetings when I left
California!

I have been riding a couple of times (wrapped in 15 layers of clothes!) and
it was great, in the dark with lots of snow and bright stars in the sky -
even some moonlight. Unfortunately I didn't have time to travel across the
country to see my fjord friend Kneist and his owner Anne-Karin.

BUT, I got to see my new fjord!! Anne-Karin once promised me a son after
Kneist, and this summer a red dun (like Kneist) little colt was born and she
is giving it to me!! I hadn't even seen a picture, but I went there
yesterday (in Valdres, a beautiful place in the middle of Norway, mountains
and great scenery, about 2 1/2 hours from where I am staying now (with my
dad)). My dad came along with me, showing some interest in horses for the
first time ever.

My little colt (that probably will be named Sneip, or Bergasneip to include
the breeding farm name) was ADORABLE. The breeder is a really nice man, who
has a small farm and loves his horses more than anything. He has Sneip's
dam, Linda, and also his 2 1/2 year old sister, Bergarosa. Wonderful place.

Sneip looks really good, with strong bones and nice conformation. And a
great, curious personality. It is hard to say at this stage but he might be
stallion material - except he has a small white star, which is not allowed.
Actually, it's more like a few white hairs, I don't know how strict the
evaluators are regarding this (I can always get my tweezers out ;-)). But I
will definitely check! The breeder (Harald Volden) apologized for not having
worked more with him. I think he behaved really well for "not being
handled". He let me touch him all over (the colt, not the breeder;-)), ears
and legs and all, just standing there being curious to what all the fuss was
about. Then Harald said he had never had a halter on, so he picked one up
and just carefully put it on him! No problem at all! Sneip was a little
surprised but when he was told he was a good boy he calmed down and just saw
it as some game. And we took it off again soon.

Then we took them out to their pasture so they could all run around in the
snow - and Sneip showed good potential by jumping a pile of snow in good
style. It was so funny to see him and his sister Rosa, they were constantly
nagging each other in a very playful way, and clearly enjoying it very much.
Running around like little kids...and that's what they are.

The big surprise was that my father seemed really proud to get a fjord in
the family (I have always been working with other people's horses - and
never had my own before - that's why this is such a big thing for me!) And
he fell completely in love with Rosa, who was constantly doing everything to
get his attention, including climbing walls and fences like a little goat.
Any tips of converting non-horsey people so they see the light? She really
charmed me, too, so I told him we could get one each. Guess it would be
easier if I lived in Norway...

I am going back to California in January, I guess, but I will start planning
my move back to Norway eventually. Already have some ideas and contacts for
a fjord farm...

Sorry for writing so long, just couldn't stop myself. VERY excited! And
proud.

Give all your fjords a big hug from me!

Merry Christmas to all,

from Dagrun in cold, snowy Norway (but it's pretty)