This message is from: Jean Ernest <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Yes, Len Brown went into debt, I guess when he tried to mass produce the
saddles, building a new factory, etc.  The co. was sold finally, along with
all the patents, factory and equipment in Little Rock, Arkansas. The new
company is called Orthoflex Saddleworks (no hyphen). They claim to have
better customer service, new quality standards, etc.
Same website URL      http://www.ortho-flex.com

Meanwhile, a former Ortho-flex employee, Richard Watson, who made some of
the original saddles, formed his own company,  Rocking R saddlery and makes
an excellent saddle, offering similar models to the Ortho-flex, bult his
trees are better I guess, with more flare, etc. http://www.rocking-r.net/
      (There is another Rocking R saddle co in Alabama which is not the same)

The description from the American Saddle Co webiste of Rocking R:
"The Rocking R System is a hybrid of Ortho-Flex System I and II. The
Rocking R saddle does not feature the System II mounting method but does
offer the track system at the back of the panel. Like System
I, the Rocking R is also built on one layer of Delrin in the panel.

The method of tree build, close attention to panel/tree configuration and
choice of thicker Delrin for the panel enables the Rocking R to perform
almost as well as the Ortho-Flex System II.

The Rocking R panels are also capable of sinking or rising the middle,
although not to the degree that the Ortho-Flex System II panels offer. Due
to the user-Friendly adjustable rigging, however, the saddle can
be positioned to compensate for this difference and can be relatively
fitted to a wide range of back types."

The Delrin flexible panels are used in several brands of saddles now.  For
details and history of this system:
http://www.american-saddles.de/dealer/system_functions/system_functions.html

The American Saddle Company is a german company! They have the
American-flex system which is supposed to be even better than the
Ortho-Flex systems. Now, apparently theyl offer western saddles, also
english saddles and endurance saddle.  Check out the website (click on the
american in the upper right corner for English language)
http://www.american-saddles.de/index.html

Well, just something to confuse people.. but do look at these websites and
also check out Saddle-up trailriders who is a dealer for Rocking R to get
an idea of prices.
http://www.saddleupshop.com/

Everything you always wanted to know about saddles but were afriad to ask!

Jean in Fairbanks, Alaska, where it has warmed up to ZERO!
 Hooray!

>this past summer I spoke with a saddle rep who claimed that Ortho-Flex has
>now changed considerably and is not the same product as originally...
>something about changing hands...?? has anyone else heard that too?  Ruthie,
>nw mt

Jean Ernest
Fairbanks, Alaska
mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]