This message is from: Pat <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

> .  Solar passed away on 10/2/2001.

When I started working for Howard and Sophie they sent me to the east to meet
with
Lindsay.  I spent two days with her and Susan Cook and Marcy Bear. I'd been away
from horses for some years and forgotten what it was like to be wrapped in horse
talk. The four of us took off in carts and horseback to trail ride  the lovely
woods
of Vermont. Yea right, at one point I expected to see Sherpas carrying oxygen
tanks.
Those New Englanders are one tuff lot.Then the next evening, Lindsay gave me the
tourist thing, only we were loosing daylight fast. Lindsay would point out a
covered
bridge over there- only you couldn't see it because it was so dark. She pointed
out
a historic farm with a round barn - only you couldn't see it because it was so
dark
- It was also pointed out to me where the beginning to the Bob Newhart show was
filmed - but you couldn't see it ..... and on and on. Maybe you had to be
there, but
I never laughed so hard. She also introduced me to Denny Emerson - a personal
friend
of hers. I was impressed.
But what I remember most of the trip was Solar - and Lindsay - she loved that
horse
more than her next breath. She shared some of her history with me and it sounded
like he got her through some pretty ruff times. I've heard alot of stories on
the
Digest about people loosing their horses and the effect left on them, but boy,
I'd
bank on the fact that Lindsay and Solar top the list for heartbreak.
Solar had 73 offspring. some super daughters like Villrose, Bryhyl Aryel,
Sophia,
Holly and Burlwood's Zoe. I'm sure there are more daughters deserving mention
but
these are the only ones I've seen. Not to mention the breeding stallion Courage,
still standing in Holland - a son of Solar.
Great horse - great owner - irreplaceable partnership.