This message is from: Pat <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

>  When is the right time to geld?

I worked for several large breeders.  One in particular had 87 broodmares. At
weaning they were grouped by sex, size and parentage, they again were put into
smaller groups. The boys were all gelded and done so in groups at various times.
Most were gelded from 6 to 12 months of age.  However some had to wait until
they
were 2 (and some a bit older) depending on the Veterinarians schedule, the guys
who worked them and other horses or around the farm, the weather and so forth. I
never saw a difference in size or build according to early or late castration.
The
boys who were born masculine remained so - the ones whom were  more feminine -
stayed that way. I was with this particular breeder for four foaling seasons.
I don't know where the theory came from about age - growth and castration - the
only thing I noticed about all the horses and when they were castrated is that
they all walked funny for a few days ...