[EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

<< Our filly, Lena has an indentation the length of her hoof.  It hasn't
 split or separated.  The vet suggested putting gelatin in her grain and
 using hoof flex to keep the hoof softer.  Seems unusual for a hard
 footed fjord to have this problem.  She has shoes on right now.  Any
 suggestions as to what else we can do to correct this problem.
 Thanks
 pat wilson >>
Hi there, Sorry to hear about the hoof problem. However, you mentioned about
her having shoes. Brigid, (Wasson) on this list, (and my sweetie) has our
horses shoeless, we have since never had a problem with their hoofs. Her
horse Tommes, seems to be a little tender footed. Especially over rocky
areas. She has since located a small company that makes custom fitted boots.
A local representative of the company came to the ranch to take the
impressions and make casts of her horses front feet. She should be receiving
them next week. I don't have the address or e mail of the company. I'm sure
if you were to e mail Brigid, she would be more than happy to fill you in on
this product and give you the necessary information on how to contact them. I
must say without hesitation, that since we have had our Fjords "bare foot,"
we have had no problems what so ever. Just a thought, I know it would be
worth your while to look into this. Jack Long