This message is from: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

In a message dated 6/6/01 10:09:15 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
[EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

<< My preference
 runs to the Western Saddle but it would seem that an English Saddle might
 work better as our mare is quite broad across the back.  I would appreciate
 any input from other Fjord owners. >>

Hi Sharon-

Welcome to the Fjord world!

You will soon learn that nothing in a standard size fits Fjords : ) I tried
several Western saddles and had problems with all. Both my horse & I got
uncomfortable quickly. My normally placid Tommes refused to canter and even
bucked me off! This prompted me to search for a better option.

I discovered "treeless" saddles and liked the idea. Folks seem to either love
or hate them, it's just personal preference. It's my opinion that a good
rider rides his horse, not a saddle (flame suit on) and should not rely on a
rigid tree for stability. I rode bareback for the first year simply because I
couldn't afford a saddle at the time, so I learned good balance. So the
saddle for me is insurance: if the horse veers to one side or other or must
go up or down a steep incline, I have stirrups and a horn to catch me from
falling.

My treeless saddle is a dream come true. I can trail ride for hours with no
discomfort and yes, we can canter (in a straight line, on the road, always on
the left lead, but hey it's a start!). After the ride, the sweat marks tell
the story. Perfectly even contact over the entire saddle area, with a small
dry line above the spine indicating no pressure.

To learn more about this type of tack, visit  <A
HREF="http://www.sportsaddle.com/";>First Choice Sports Saddle - Riding
Comfort Starts Here</A>  and  <A
HREF="http://search.aol.com/redirect.adp?appname=QBP&query=%fa%cb%ba%60%ef%c9%

f7%68%89%d2%cd%4a%11%23%a8%f6%2f%4e%2a%5f%32%a8%67%fa%0a%59%6b%16%a4%11%db%20%

c6%3c%83%2d%10%48%98%80%02%4e%4c%d9%36%6c%1f%ee%b1%a5%61%af%de%8d%b3%19%2e%7a%

f8%1f%e8%e5%f1%64%47%d4%84%b7%0b%fc%cd%c1">You've Found the Ans|r!</A> .
Whether you choose English or Western depends on what type of riding you will
do most often. Either will work for fun/trail riding.

Brigid M Wasson

San Francisco Bay Area, CA
 <A HREF="http://ourfjords.freeservers.com/fjord1/Our_Fjordsx.html";>Our Fjords
</A>