This message is from: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

In a message dated 5/27/01 7:03:19 PM Pacific Daylight Time, [EMAIL PROTECTED]
writes:

<< Also, any tips on how to cut the mane w/o cutting all the black out when
 cutting the lighter shorter then the dark. I have tried this once, I must
say
 not bad for beginner, but it was trickey. I think I got the arc a little
 further back then I should have. But need it to grow out some before
 attempting again. >>

Hi Linda-

I get lots of complement on my "mane jobs" so here's what I do. I largely use
electric clippers now, saves time and gives a cleaner cut than a scissors
which can "slip" so you end up with a rocky mountain look instead of an arc :
) It's not a bad idea to wash the mane, comb it UP and let it dry overnight
before trimming. Otherwise the hairs may be going every which way (my
geldings like to grab eachother by the manes) or dirt may damage your blade.
Hold the clippers like a big pencil and buzz off just the white part in small
sections. Create a shape on one side of the mane. Doing the white first will
give you something to "contrast" with (the too-long black hairs) and see how
smooth is your arc. When you are satisfied with the white part, move to the
black on the same side. I like to have at least an inch of black above the
white. Now move to the other side. The black is already where you want it, so
trim the white to match. Shave a bridle path if you like, leaving as much
forelock as is attractive. Actually the best vantage point to check the
evenness of the two sides is from the horse's back. However I don't recommend
operating the clippers from this position : )

Hope this helps.

Brigid M Wasson

San Francisco Bay Area, CA
 <A HREF="http://ourfjords.freeservers.com/fjord1/Our_Fjordsx.html";>Our Fjords