This message is from: "fjordcountry" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Thank you so much Brian for the information from an evaluators stand point on
the broken axis.  I went out today after retrieving my son's angle gage from
his shoeing rig and measured nine fjords we currently have here, front and
hind.  The average angles were as I had guessed, fronts about 53 and hinds
consistently two degrees more at 55.  These were the angles on both a mare
that won her halter class in 02 and placed 3rd in 03 at Libby (not my mare),
and also a gelding of Jim McMillan's that placed 3rd in his halter classes the
last two years at Libby.  My mare who won her class this past year is at 52
and 54.  The steepest angles I had were on two brothers who came in at 55 and
57.  This may seem steep but the pasterns match the shoulder angle and both
these guys are very nice movers and a comfortable ride.  It is when the angle
of the hoof does not match the shoulder/pastern that rough rides and lameness
occur.  This is when the horse is trimmed to that "ideal" (in whose mind I
don't know!) angle of 45-48 instead of to what that horses own conformation
denotes, as per your info Brian. Thanks for your time and I'd like to hear
from the other farriers and the vets also on what you have seen as the average
angles for fjords.   Rock'n Kathi