This message is from: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

> Some people suggest washing the whole horse in iodine solution. I
> think
> checking often for rainrot sores and "spot" treating them as soon as
> find any sores works best for me. I often run my hands over my
> horse'
> backs, necks and sides, checking for telltale bumps on the skin.

Actually, the scabs are the end result of the condition, so treating the
scabs is pointless.  However, treating the area around the scabs is
benficial as it spreads from area to area.  This is why bathing is
helpful, because it cleans the skin that isn't yet affected.

> Pick the scabs off as gently as you can to expose the underlying
> skin to
> fresh air. That often is enough -- exposing the affected skin to
> oxygen
> is the key to killing the anaerobic (oxygen hating) rainrot fungus.

Rain rot is caused by a bacteria called Dermatophillus, not a fungus.  I
do agree that exposure to fresh air helps.  This bacteria likes warm
moist areas.  So, airing out the skin and exposure to the sunlight (UV
rays) helps kill the bacteria on the skin.  This bacteria is found
commonly in the soil and bedding.

> Athlete's foot medication and triple antibiotic salve are more
> expensive
> and don't appear to work any better or faster than iodine -- or even
>
> just fresh air. "Keep It Simple (and inexpensive), Stupid" is my
> motto.

I agree!  No need for expensive medications.  A dilute chlorox solution
(10:1 with water) works well too.

> If a large area of the horse is covered with rain rot, I would even
> clip
> off the hair in the affected area to help with the treatment and
> healing, but I've never had a case of rainrot go that far.

Horses with feathers on the legs or thick coats sometimes need to be
clipped to help spead healing.  The condition is usually self-limiting
though and will go away on its own after the body develops some immuity
and conditions are improved (no blankets, turn out, clean stall, etc.)

Steve White, DVM
Sport Horse Vet. Service  Gretna, NE
     A strange stillness dwells in the eye of the horse, a composure that
appears to regard
     the world from a measured distance... It is a gaze from the depths
of a dream...
                                                             -
Hans-Heinrich Isenbart