This message is from: Jean Ernest <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

OK, Mary, I will now throw your theory all out of wack!
Stella, Line's daughter, born in Norway, has the shorter coat, thick and
plush in the winter, but not so long and shaggy.  So does Bjorken, her son,
sired by Anvil's Rikolv.  Both are the taller, lighter sporthorse type.
While they are getting somewhat fuzzy, they are still much sleeker than my
other two.

Now comes Adel, Stella's grandaughter (Anvil's Stina X Leidjo).  Adel's
coat is very very soft, wooly, not actually real long in the winter but
longer than Stella's, and she has the very long forelock, thick, thick mane
and tail, While Stella and son have short forelocks, thinner manes and
tails. Adel is getting fuzzy, but not as fuzzy as Bjarne.
Then old Bjarne, who I think was also foaled at 100 house, and is of a
drafty type, has a very long thick shaggy coat in the winter and starts to
get fuzzy every year in mid July.  By now he has a coat probably as thick
as some fjords ever get..he will shed a bit in October and get really thick
and long coat by December.  His mane and tail are very thick also.  He is
of the old original North American bloodlines. While his age may be a
factor (27) He has done this ever since I have had him (15 years).

I do think it IS bloodlines and Adel may have inherited some of her coat
characteristics from Line, but I wonder what Leidjo looks like in the winter?

Jean in Fairbanks, Alaska. Geese and cranes starting to fly south.

>OK, guys, I did come up with a 'theory' as to why some
>Fjords become 'winter fuzzy' earlier than others -

Jean Ernest
Fairbanks, Alaska
mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]