This message is from: Mary Thurman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

--- DT <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
 I just got back yesterday having been in Oregon for
> a week. First thing I
> did when I got home was go and say hello to Lars. He
> is getting a fuzzy coat
> already!! I read that Jean's horse was getting a
> fuzzy coat but then she is
> in Alaska. Anyone in the Washington area have their
> Fjords starting to ready
> for cooler weather?

Deb,

Our Fjords here in western Washington normally begin
putting in the fuzzy stuff the end of August/first of
September.  When we were going to the Libby show
regularly our Fjords were generally more fuzzy than
most of the others.  I always thought it might be
because we do not blanket ours - ever(unless illness
requires it).  One year I tried blanketing the two
that were going to Libby.  All that accomplished was
sweaty horses, as they started their winter coats
right on schedule with the rest of the herd.  Where
our winters out here are not particularly harsh in
terms of "cold" weather(extreme low temps), they are
very harsh in terms of ability to thoroughly chill a
horse.  Cool temperatures + wind + constant rainy wet
conditions = lots of cold stress for animals living
outside.  Unfortunately, lots of horse people in our
area do not seem to realize that, so their poor
animals really suffer in the winter because they are
provided with NO place to get out of the wind and rain
and are not fed properly to help them produce body
heat.  Contrary to popular belief, pouring on the
grain and alfalfa hay is not the way to help a horse
produce more body heat.  Slow digesting feeds - like
grass hay - actually produce more body heat than the
perceived "hot" feeds.  Since our Fjords seemed always
to prefer to be outside - no matter what the weather -
even standing outside in torrential rain and 60+ mph
winds - we have always fed free-choice grass hay,
oat-based grain ration, and rice bran in the winter.
We also locked them into their stalls when a 'big
blow' was coming to protect them from flying objects.

There, that's probably more than anyone wants to know
about keeping horses/Fjords in the 'great Northwet'!

Mary

=====
Mary Thurman
Raintree Farms