This message is from: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

On 29 Aug 2002 at 20:24, fjordhorse-digest wrote:

> Watch to see if the gnats are especially bad during the time her eyes
> swell up.  That is the connection I have made -  also, check in
> "armpit" , lower chest and under belly as gnats love those areas too.
> The gnats especially love my fjord gelding, Sven!  Oh ya - check those
> ears too:)

        I'm not sure what gnats Linda was referring to, but regarding potential
eye
problems, they may be what are called "Hippelates Eye Gnats" . Hippelates is
the
Genus. They can often be seen in large clusters hovering about the head of
horses.
For those science nerds among you, these are members of the family Chloropidae,
and are related to the fruti flies and related forms. According to my reference
sources
they are called "eye gnats" since they are attracted to places where they can
acquire
bodily fluids. Some species are attracted to exposed genitals of mammals, or to
sores on lower limbs- isn't nature wonderful ? [:o)
        In southern parts of the US at least, Hippelates flies are considered a
possible vector of  "pinkeye" (conjunctivitis) to animals and humans, and,
although
they don't bite, can otherwise cause eye irritations and teariness. They also
can
vector bovine mastitis
        They breed in decaying organic matter including manure especially if it
is
well aerated.