This message is from: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

In a message dated 6/22/02 1:20:06 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
[EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

> This message is from: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> Attention all you breeders out there:  I have "discovered" a wonderful
> treatment for those foal-heat scours that newborns get.  You know, the kind
>
> where you spend days scrubbing stinky, sore little bottoms and pumping
> Pepto-Bismol in the front end?    It's easy, it's cheap -- and it works
> wonderfully!

What works even betther Jan is to not have them get it in the first place.
I must brag that the last 3 foals born here have not gotten foal-heat scours,
because of some advice a breeder gave me a few years ago. (Sue G. that would
be you :-))  I have followed it and find it works!  I cut back on the grain
my mare was getting....after the baby is born.  I give her maybe half what
she was getting till AFTER she's had her foal heat....then I start increasing
till she's back to what she should have.  I was talking to my vet about this
just the other day...he told me one of his other breeders told him (and
swears by it) that they worm the mare within a day of birthing...and the
foals NEVER get scours  ???  haven't tried this one yet but my vet says this
breeder hasn't had scours in over 10 yrs following this procedure.
Just food for thought....I'd rather prevent it, then treat it.  :-)

Aimee Day
Days End Fjords