This message is from: "Mike May, Registrar NFHR" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

At 05:36 AM 6/10/2002 -0700, you wrote:
This message is from: Nancy Newport <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Thank you for the nice message Nancy. I will forward it to the BOD for you. The BOD does a lot for the members and don't get a whole lot of thanks for it really. The time is coming to elect the new members for next year. If anyone is interested please let me know & I will get your name to the right people.

Mike

Hi Mike, I will microchip all mine, and think at
some point we should require it (make it a
package with the DNA test for all foals who will
be registered), but as to when, I'll leave that
up to the board.

This breed registry has done a great job
(compared to other registries) of policing the
breed so that it improves and doesn't become a
casualty of indiscriminate breeding. The registry
can also encourage responsible ownership. I think
that a micro chip does more good than
inconvenience for owners and horses. Just the
fact that a horse is chipped makes it a little
easier down the line when that horse perhaps
falls into poor circumstances and is discovered
unknown as has happened on the list several times
recently.  Those caring folks who find an unknown
Fjord and pick it up usually want to know it's
history - I know I would.

I think our registry is somewhat under pressure
to set standards for Fjords in the US if not
North America, so I look to the board to think
ahead years down the road and try to determine if
the policies it sets will be beneficial to our
horses. I have not had Fjords long enough to see
the big picture, but have confidence in the folks
in our registry to hash it out and make good
decisions.

JMHO,
Nancy Newport
Gainesville, Florida
http://fifaworldcup.yahoo.com

Norwegian Fjord Horse Registry
Mike May, Executive Director & Registrar
PO Box 685
Webster, NY  14580-0685

Voice 585-872-4114
FAX 585-787-0497