This message is from: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

In a message dated 5/31/2002 12:36:47 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
[EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

> 7) As this will be my first foal, what happens if it appears in the middle
> of the night and I am asleep and there is a problem? I know with
> thoroughbreds, they have foal watch and monitors and alarms. Are the
> incidents of problems with Fjords very low? What steps can I take to be
> proactive and on guard? One is naturally so anxious and concerned.

Reading my mail in backwards order.  It's always nice to be there just in
case there is a problem, though 90% of the time everything goes well.   We've
always had somebody in the barn when a mare is due.  This last time, I went
to tell my helper she could go home at 6:40 a.m. and that is when Juniper
went down to foal!  It was a quick and easy delivery.  Baby was born by 7:00.
 I was ready with my twine to tie up  her placenta when she stood up, but the
second she got to her feet, the whole thing slipped out beautifully!  I
always worry about retained placentas, after having dealt with one once.
They can cause bad problems in the mare if not treated properly.  But since
starting with red raspberry leaf on our pregnant mares, we've had beautiful
deliveries and no retained placentas.

Good luck! :)

Pamela