This message is from: "ruth bushnell" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Hi Peter and the Randall Family and welcome to the Fjord Horse List! I'm sure
you'll receive many answers to your questions, but there's not much activity
on the List on weekends-- everyone's out with their Fjords. I can make brief
unqualified comments on some of the items you mentioned until you hear from
some of the others.

1) manes: I would forget the notching technique until I mastered the general
shape first. First envision the finished product of a rainbow shaped crest..
take sharp shears and maybe cut the highest point to the desired height to
mark your pattern. (maybe approx 4" high) Then begin at the withers, cutting
close, angling up and aiming for the mark at the apex (in a slightly curved
line.) Then I would cut the bridle path down and aim for the apex again
(working back toward the center). Cut white and black hairs even, once you've
achieved this you can cut the white down a half inch or so if you like.
(practice makes perfect!=))

2) water: It's been our experience that horses are naturally suspicious of
entering water and will proceed cautiously if at all. we have a deep creek
here too and they never attempt wading it.

3) breeding: not until a young mare is three years old.

4) good question about inbreeding.. someone more knowledgeable about genetics
may work on this one, but it appears to me that inbreeding is not a wise
practice because it compounds any weak characteristics; ramifications of what
may have occurred in a reckless gene pool are multiply intensified. (because
there no longer exists the natural selection process)... or something like
that =)))

5) riding... I have heard three years too, and even upwards of that, but it's
never too early to give them a feel for something light on their back, or a
surrounding of their girth.

6) supplements... whatever the pocketbook allows I guess in the way of
vitamins and minerals  =)) but we will not feed sweet grain to ours. (same as
junk food to kids). too much green grass, especially all at once, can be
harmful also.

7) night foals...and they usually are, because they'd rather you weren't
watching =)) are usually born easily, but there is the odd occurrence and
that's why it's necessary to monitor regularly... maybe take turns with your
family on late night and early morning stable checks.

Best of luck to you and your Fjords... Ruthie, nw mt