This message is from: Vivian Creigh <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Steve McIlree5/25/02 2:31 [EMAIL PROTECTED]

> If anyone is going to throw back the rhetoric about outside rules
> destroying the friendly family atmosphere of the shows, please
> explain exactly how standard, proven rules would do that.

You are not going to get any argument from me, Steve. Rules prevail in every
recognized competition and they are there to level the playing field for all
so discrepencies do not or should not happen.

 The difficulty I see in regional Fjord shows is there is no Technical
Delegate to help diffuse the competitors anger and if the TD perceives a
real problem can then facilitate setting things straight.

Because everyone at a regional Fjord show are friends or at least acquainted
with one another it is difficult for the show committee members to remain
neutral. Also often the members of the show committee are themselves showing
which compromises any conflict of interest issues. Management should not
compete especially if they have hired the judges. HUGE CONFLICT!!!!

If a show publishes that the driving classes will be run according to ADS
rules but there are show committee members that always drive without
nosebands or cavessons on their driving bridles it is quite likely that this
ADS rule will be ignored. If the judge judging the driving classes is not an
ADS judge it is unlikely he/she will know that there is such a rule or if
they do know that it is a rule and approach a show committee member about it
is possible they will be told to ignore it because "Fjord people" routinely
drive without nosebands. This scenario is pure conjecture. I am just trying
to point out how these issues often play out.

Rules for all but the "Fun classes"  have already been worked out by the USA
Eq, ADS, USDF etc. But saying you will run a show according to those rules
and then having a judge and management that is unfamiliar with those rules
defeats the purpose.

Publishing that your show will be run by certain rules is a great start but
unless you have an impartial, knowledgeable person (TD) to make sure that
those rules are followed and a judging panel that is also familiar with the
rules and general protocol you will not be able to effectively put those
rules into effect. Failure to play by the rules will in some instances be
grounds for elimination, but just try and tell someone at a local Fjord show
that they have been elminated because their harness doesn't conform to ADS
rules and believe me you'll have a fight on your hands. By the way only the
judge can eliminate a competitor.

There is absolutely no reason that the NFHR needs to reinvent the wheel by
writing their own rules or even sanctioning regional Fjord shows. Some of
the issues Brian referred to in his post would be covered under USAEq or ADS
rules, but unless the show committee spends the money to hire qualified
judges and a licensed TD the show committees should save money on ink and
not bother to publish any affiliations.

My above comment on qualified judges is in no way meant to demean the NFHR
list of judges it is just that in my opinion it takes a mighty amazing judge
to be familiar with the NGB rules governing all the disciplines that take
place at a breed show.

As for Brian's comment on profanity, throwing hayforks and the like that can
be chalked up to poor social skills, nothing more. Unless the profanity was
directed personally towards the judge there isn't much one can do about that
type of behaviour. However, if there were a TD officiating he/she could take
that person aside and try and "calm things down a bit" . I have always
admired licensed TDs in Driving because they must wear so many hats and
remain gracious and efficient at all times. How do they do that?

This turned out to be too long and a bit redundant, sorry.

Have a Happy Memorial Day weekend everyone.
Vivian Creigh