This message is from: "Karen Keith" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Dear List:

Thanks to everyone who replied to my inquiry both on and off list. Although I don't know anything further about my new mare, you were all very positive. I once again marvel at having a community of friends whom I've never met yet receive such support.

To amend my last listing, however, let me say I suspect she may be from Nevada, not New Mexico -- OOPS! The reason I suspect that is it turns out my gelding, which I bought from this same auction last fall, came from the same folks in Fruita or Grand Junction as this mare. The gelding was bred in Baker, Nevada, and is FBA registered.

To those of you who didn't think she was quite 200 lbs. overweight, here's where I get that. My gelding weighs right at 1,000 lbs. according to the body weight tape. The mare weighed (on purchase) 1,239 lbs. They are both the same height, although the mare is always going to be draftier than the gelding. Remember, these two are both just under 14hh, so they're not big Fjords. The mare has fat pads over her hips, at the base of her tail, and around the shoulders and elbows. Since she's been here (a month), the bottom side of her neck has loosened up, kind of like a wattle. I assume this is a good sign. She's been started to work in harness (I had to have a bigger girth made for her so she'd fit in my stuff!), and that work should aide in bringing the weight down to an acceptable range. Don't worry -- I won't starve her or overwork a fat, unfit pony. :^)

BTW, last weekend I decided to take her out for a Sunday ride. Put my son (very non-horsey) on my gelding, and since none of my saddles fit my mare, I decided to ride bareback with a hackamore. Her first time off my property, and she was a peach. About halfway around the block she thought we should turn around and go home. You know, stop, turn around, back up. Urging forward with heels wasn't convincing her to go forward, so I tapped her behind my leg with an open hand. Oh, she said, fine, I'll go forward. We got a little way farther and she stopped again. This time just slapping my thigh got her moving forward. This kind of rebellion I can live with. :^)

Once again, thanks to all who replied. I'll keep you updated on what's happening and if I find out anything further.

Cheers!

Karen