This message is from: "Olivia Farm, Inc." <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Hello from Olivia Farm,

  I just wanted to point out that the Advanced English test is based on a First
Level dressage test.  While this is not extremely advanced as dressage goes, it
does require some "further training", which is what is written in the test
description.  In a first level test, you are only allowed a snaffle bit.

  Although Fjords are strong I find that correct dressage training enables
fairly easy riding in a snaffle bit.  I do have some horses that "go" better in
a curb - but those are horses who are accustomed to it and haven't had what I
consider proper dressage training.  Every horse that I start in a snaffle
continues to go well in a snaffle.  This includes My Stallion, Peppertree's
Christian!

  I know it doesn't seem fair - and perhaps since the test in English and not
Dressage the bit requirements should be looked into.  But we have to remember
that Western and English are looking for different things.  Western wants no
contact, English and Dressage requires contact.  I find contact with a curb to
be harsh until the training is so far along that the lightest bit of pressure
makes the horse respond and the horse can basically go in self carriage (as in
third level and above Dressage).  There are even many driving trainers who
prefer to drive in snaffles, but understand that in driving you have limited
aids and safety and control are the biggest concerns.

  If anyone thinks that fjords can't possibly go well in a snaffle, they only
need to look at the number of fjords that have completed and passed their intro
or advanced English tests or are competing successfully at lower level dressage
(or upper level for that matter, they all had to start off with a snaffle!).
Just because it is easier to train in a curb, doesn't mean that it is better
training for the horse.

  Solveig Watanabe
  Olivia Farm
  www.oliviafarm.com