This message is from: "Mike May, Registrar NFHR" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

 At 07:05 PM 7/1/2006, you wrote:

  This message is from: Steve McIlree <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

  Ruthie--

  Saturday, July 1, 2006, you wrote:

  > I've been considerably encouraged since Steve made that
  > recommendation for a world class cross-referencing DNA databank. We
  > would love to see that initiated! I can't think of anything more
  > worthwhile that could be done for the Fjord breed.

    Actually, I never recommended anything as comprehensive as a DNA
    databank.

Actually since we have only been DNA typing for about 10 years now it
wouldn't go back very far anyway.

  Simply a pedigree database going back as far as possible,
    ideally at least to Njaal 166.

Our current database does go back to Njal N-166  and a bit farther.  Take
a look at

HAKON JARL N-645

================

http://www.nfhr.com/ponyweb/ponyweb.cgi?horse=2766

There are a lot of horses missing for sure though.  When the database was
put together they only put horses in that were in pedigrees of horses
that were registered.  I added a lot of them a few years ago to get some
of the more well known lines back as far as Njal.

Mike

  With such data, much more accurate
    calculations could be made to determine Coefficient of Inbreeding.

   --
  Steve McIlree - Pferd, Skipper & Clust - Omaha, NE/Las Cruces, NM,
  USA

Norwegian Fjord Horse Registry
Mike May, Executive Director & Registrar
PO Box 685
Webster, NY  14580-0685

Voice 585-872-4114
FAX 585-787-0497