This message is from: "jerrell friz" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Hi List,
I see several posts to the list on barefoot trimming. I would be careful with this.Good farriers are very hard to find, it is hard work,and takes time. Trimming a horses hoof is very easy. 5 minutes of work, and 15 minutes of BS talk. The profit margin in trimming is way more than with a good shoe job.. Poor farriers can specialize in trimming and do very good with little overhead.

A healthy horse out in the pasture will wear their hooves just about as fast as they grow, and maybe too fast, depending on their health and nutrition intake. The poor 7/24 stalled horse, will need to be trimmed. [I see a lot of them]

You might think that the hooves look great, but your horse doesn't move right, fights the bit, hard to trot, canter, etc. just might be the feet.

It is very unfortunate that is takes a life time for some of us to realize this.

I like to let my horses go barefoot for only a couple months in the Winter when I can't ride/drive them in the mud. [not this year though] However, if I am doing any work with them they need shoes on all four feet. Reset about every 9 weeks. I want my horses to move in self-carriage, not be limping along. You might think you are saving money by not putting shoes on, but in the long haul it will cost you a lot more. [ if you are NOT using them, if they are just pets, then by all means they should be without shoes.]

Again just my 2 cents worth.

Regards,
Jerry Friz,
Anderson,CA.

For your security this Message has been checked for Viruses as a courtesy of
Com-Pair Services!