This message is from: Erin Yanish <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

We often get visitors from all over.  Most are friends of friends who really
want to see horses and so they come over for an afternoon and check them out.
We drive our fjords, so we usually hook them up and after a quarter mile down
the road we ask if they would like to try driving.  We hand the reins over and
someone who has hardly ever even been around horses is in control.  We are
there to supervise.  However, a horse can tell when there is a new handler on
the reins.  Our horses act as though there is no change and respect the
guidance of the new driver.

  Our horses are also well mannered in that they can be layed off for a few
months and be hooked up like they had been driven every day.  They are a truly
remarkable breed.  Like was mentioned before, every horse has a personality.

  Would I say all fjords are like this...no.  An extremely well mannered horse
can also be trained to be dangerous.  It is a horse and trainer combination not
just a horse.  There needs to be an understanding of respect and love between
handler and horse.

  Erin
  Vista Ridge Farms
  www.vistaridgefarms.com

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
  This message is from: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

I won't address the dog topic this time. I would like to do a general
survey. knowing what I think, and how I feel, I would like to ask all of you
readers, writers and lurkers in which discipline Norwegian Fjord horses are
best
suited. More specifically, do you think that Fjords (as a breed, not
specific horses) ARE or ARE NOT suitable for children, novice horse people, as
family companions, and for therapeutic riding programs? I have heard some
different opinions and would like to see a general opinion on the topic. OF
COURSE
we all know the "type" of horse that these "types" of people need...and the
level of training that they all require. I am just asking as a breed, as in
Quarter Horses, Haflingers, Pasos, Clydes, Shetlands, Minis, etc. Looking at
equine breeds, do you, or do you not think that Norwegian Fjords are suitable?

Thanks for your input!
Wendy Bauwens and my furry Fjord, Clyde, Corgi and Golden friends!