This message is from: Marsha Jo Hannah <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

> "Lola Lahr" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> re: the grazing muzzle and I have heard really good
> things about this method. It keeps them doing what horses naturally do
> (grazing) so reduces stress and keeps them moving. I have read in several
> places that the old dry lot trick can actually cause problems at the
> cellular level and is really not a good idea.

A word of caution to those just starting out with a grazing muzzle---
you will probably have to fiddle with the fit.  I found that there was
a fine line between adjusting it tight enough to keep it on the horse,
but loose enough that it didn't cause a rub on the bridge of the nose.
Rom got his off once, but because he was only out for an hour, he
didn't have enough time to "do much damage" to his diet.  I have a
sneaking suspicion that, if I had continued to muzzle Sleepy, he would
have figured out how to deliberately remove his grazing muzzle---he's
just that kind of horse.

The only drawback that I see to a grazing muzzle is that it might give
the owner a false sense of security.  If it does come off, the animal
could well engage in a laminitis-inducing pig-out on spring grass!!!

Sleepy has figured out how to "graze" on his drylot.  He does a lovely
bow, to get his neck down to ground level, so he can reach under the
bottom rail of the pipe corral panel for a few nibbles of grass.  And,
he looks longingly at the donkey, whose head is small enough to fit
between the rails of her pipe corral, to stretch for a little more
grass.  It does keep them occupied, and provides a bit of gymnastic
"exercise"....

Their 1 to 1.5 hours of pasture is accompanied by mixed grass hay, at
approximately 1% of body weight per day (split into 2 feedings).  They
also get Horse Guard vitamins (for its selenium content), and
Quiessence, plus a couple cups of alfalfa pellets (in lieu of grain)
to motivate them to eat the supplements.

Marsha Jo Hannah                Murphy must have been a horseman--
[EMAIL PROTECTED]               anything that can go wrong, will!
15 mi SW of Roseburg, Oregon