This message is from: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Dear List,
I knew some one give a big warning about straw. However, I have worked with
and consulted with many vets and I have never had a problem with good
quality straw. I mix it with the hay and I am sure it is good fine quality
before I use it for bedding and or feeding. Impaction comes when a poor
quality straw is used or ate that was not to be used as feed. Also plenty of
water is a MUST in all feeding programs.

Reducing calories and increasing exercise is the only way to reduce the fat
on a horse. I am concerned with people that allow the gut of a horse to
become empty.

I have always been told... a horse does not colic as easy when the gut and
stomach is full. It is when they are empty that colic and other problems
occur. Remember, horses in nature graze 80% of their time. Horses in stalls
are fed and eat only 20% of their time....

Have a great weekend!

Catherine Lassesen
Hestehaven - The Horse Garden
www.hestehaven.com / [EMAIL PROTECTED]