This message is from: Jean Ernest <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Some straw is NOT low calorie! Oat straw, for instance, especially if there are some grain heads left in it.

we are feeding at least three times daily, hay for the most part, but my senior fjords get equine senior as well. This is while I have a friend feeding for me, until I am healed up enough from knee replacement. In the winter I was feeding hay five to six time daily.

Jean in warm Fairbanks, Alaska, 80 degrees yesterday, and it's light all night, altho the sun does set for a few hours.

Dear List,
I knew some one give a big warning about straw. However, I have worked with
and consulted with many vets and I have never had a problem with good
quality straw. I mix it with the hay and I am sure it is good fine quality
before I use it for bedding and or feeding. Impaction comes when a poor
quality straw is used or ate that was not to be used as feed. Also plenty of
water is a MUST in all feeding programs.