This message is from: "Pat Holland" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

 I actually rarely use the rail in a driving class. Too crowded and it
subjects you to having go the exact same speed ( or not ) of the person in front of you. I also do not appreciate others " using " my hitch to slow their pairs down. I personally think that the world is too big to have 2 FIRE Breathing Dragons hanging on our fender. ( some of those old timers hitch teams come to
mind, yeee ha ? )

This is a subject that needs to be addressed and hopefully a club or two somewhere will offer a clinic on traffic strategies in the ring.

First of all the rail should not be crowded if the exhibitors know how to use space properly - if the ring is adequate size for driving (small rings designed for riding or in some cases uneven footing) makes for difficult traffic flow - and if the class is so big - that it is crowded on the rail - the class should be split.

Driving your horse off the rail is not only rude to other exhibitors, but dangerous if the turnout your passing happens to come off the rail unrepentantly.

I always tell my clients that besides ALL the other things you need to worry about in the ring - your own personal performance, listening to the announcer, watching what is alongside the rail, watching the judge, watching the ring steward, you ALSO have to take notice of who else is in the ring and their abilities in the ring and how their horses move. You cannot zone out while in the ring, nor show only for yourself.

I try to teach them to use their corners to gain space, or cut a corner to get away from someone hanging onto your butt.

In ADS division classes - you realize pretty quickly in your first class who is in the ring with you and how their horses move - so in the following rail classes you should utilize that knowledge to find clean clear spaces on the rail.

I know in Reinsmanship, part of the judging is how you "traffic" your horse.

I agree with Lisa that rail horses should definitely be driving in the open while training so that they do not become rail robots.

If you happen to have a horse with a big trot and when the extended trot is asked for - passing others and coming off the rail is of course a necessity - but I say PASSING - not STAYING off the rail - it is unfair to your turnout to stay on the rail and "blend in" when you have a horse that has exceptional gates. HOWEVER if you are on the inside and they ask for that extended, the exhibitor on the rail whom you are alongside might have a big trot as well - and so in reality you are cutting him off - which is not good showmanship.

It is a talent only gained through much experience on how to keep a good spot on the rail, clear from others - but it can be done and part of the showmanship factor. It's a luck factor too - I've had some great goes in large classes and been able to stay by myself on the rail and show off my horses - but I have also gotten myself in some bottle-necks that you can't seem to get away from.

I guess the point here is if everyone or most of the exhibitors drove off the rail to avoid the crowd - the poor judge would be trying to judge horses as if he were standing in the middle of a six lane interstate highway.

Pat Holland