This message is from: "Don Brackett" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Hi Jen,

I like them. They are easy to put on, stay on well in mud or rocky trails. They are a bit bulky, but the horses don't seem to mind at all. I LOVE it when I don't have to use anything but it just doesn't always work. The old macs are easy enough to put on that I can stick them in the saddle bag and pop them on during a trail ride if I'm someplace new and don't know if the horses will need them. I have a paint with navicular that Loves his old macs. He wears them for even tiny rides with the thick comfort pads in. Otherwise he is miserable. The Fjords wear them only occasionally when needed and our little appaloosa with crappy toes wears shoes once the ground hardens up (July - Oct.) and Old macs for trail rides the rest of the year. The epics use a neoprene gaiter that works well for dry trails. But here in Me, there is a lot of mud and neoprene when wet stretches, then the little grit in the mud works it's way under the neoprene and acts like sandpaper on the heel bulbs. Not comfy. The old macs fit a bit looser on the heel and mud and debris just falls out so there is no rubbing. The pads also help to customize the fit, raising or lowering the heel to fit well. Buying used and trying different types would be great, I think you'll just have to try whatever seems best and go from there. Different hoof shapes and way of going will make a difference. Ask you farrier for his/her advice. Sometimes just regular shoes does seem to work best, I know we really tried to keep our app barefoot but he just needs those shoes to be comfortable even in the pasture when it's hard. Good luck.
Jane

Jane, Do you LOVE the Old Macs, or have you just found a way to deal
with putting them on?
Jen