This message is from: "Curtis Pierce" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Hi Kristie,

My advice is to read Feeding and Care of the Horse by Lon D. Lewis.  If you
read the feed bag labels, you will also find that Triple Crown Lite and
Nutrena Lite feeds have the mineral and vitamin quantities equal to the best
supplements.  These feeds OR supplements give your horse more than the
minimum daily requirements.  The one thing about Fjords that I have found by
experience is that Fjords do not need much protein.  I make sure that the
feeds we use are 12 percent or lower.  Since my Fjords get plenty of hay, I
do not use beet pulp.

Coat and overall appearance problems can also be caused by worms.  It is
important to use a good worming program. Some owners check the manure
occasionally using a glass jar and water.  Some vets will test manure for
worms.

Our adult Fjords and Icelandics get 1 to 1.5 pounds of Triple Crown Lite per
feeding.  The stallions get the higher amounts.  Our 2 year old and younger
horses get a good 12 percent feed plus vitamins.  It is important for the
younger horses to get some fat.

I hope this helps.  There are probably as many different feeding programs as
there are horse owners.

Regards,
Curt Pierce
Mathias, WV
PS. We still have a couple trained gelding for sale.  See our sale page at
http://www.deepcreekfjords.com/forsale/for_sale.htm.