This message is from: "Marcia Pace" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Hi Kristie,

I agree with Curt Pierce's recommendation regarding Lewis' book on
nutrition. It is an excellent book and I refer to it often.  Lewis cites
tables and requirements established by the National Research Council. The
NRC revised their research in 2007 and just recently made a working document
available online that simplifies diet evaluation for horses.

I used to calculate my fjords diets by hand and it was time consuming. The
new NRC working document is fun (if you are a nutrition nut)! The adult
fjords are pretty easy but I like to monitor the youngsters (protein,
lysine, calcium, phosphorus) so that they have a steady growth rate.  I have
fed Purina's Enrich 32 (and still do) to my growing horses beginning around
age 2.  Once they are adults, they do not need the extra protein it provides
and I switch to a vitamin and mineral supplement with a small amount of
oats.

Enrich 32 is of course 32 % protein.  I usually feed 1-1.5 lbs per day with
a high quality Timothy hay (10% protein).  The total protein your horse is
receiving has to be calculated by weight.  If interested, check this link
www.http://nrc88.nas.edu.nrh/

Marcia Pace
Ellensburg, WA
www.fjordfarm.com