This message is from: Sarah Clarke <sarahmagdalencla...@yahoo.com>

I agree with your point that the silver dilution gene* (sometimes called
silver dapple) is NOT the same thing as "garden variety" dapples, but I do
think genes may make a difference.  Horses with agouti base coloring (bays,
duns) with a large amount of black extension dapple far more extravagantly
than those with limit black extension.  Fjords due to their dilution, don't
for the most part have a lot of black extending into their coats and the
dapples are more subtle.  All my mature fjords (1 stallion, 3 mares) show some
degree of dappling, but it's not the eye-popping kind that a brown bay
Thoroughbred mare of mine used to have.  I suspect it's one of those
nature/nurture interaction things - the coat has to have the abiltiy to dapple
and then the horse has to have healty enought coat that the shading
varitations show up. - Sarah

*to add to the confusion I have a little pony with the silver gene - who
hasn't a single dapple,

All the links that you refer to are referring to color markings, primitive,
etc. some might call this dappling, however, this is a different subject.

 I doubt if the, gene, makes a difference here. It is more about
''lifestyle."  [ or maybe I should say horsestyle]

Cheers,
Jerry