This message is from: laura fisher <laura_fishe...@hotmail.com>

Dear DeeAnna,

Thank you for your response.  I did not know there were that many trees.
Considering the breadth of them I am afraid I would have to travel the entire
United States, with my horse in tow, to find a saddle that would fit me and my
horse. I printed your reply for future reference.

Out in the boon docks as I am, up until I became active on the internet,(
yuck) I have had to rely on personal experience. (or my  reaching out to a
forum). My experience with saddles, is with dressage saddles, and circle y
flex 's ( and other saddles over the years-no named).

I thought that a fjord might have special needs because unlike any other horse
I have ridden- my mare has a trot that goes with a break-neck -like speed I
have never seen or experienced... it feels like I am going to topple over her
while she tries not to canter. I would have to really exaggerate my position
backwards to not move forward. I have owned horses since I was a kid and I
hope I have improved from the fetal position by now, especially with all those
darn dressage lessons. I would say I am an intermediate rider. I have an
independent seat.

I do not know much about western saddle padding, having moved out here from
the east coast, but in the dressage and three day event barn I boarded in, I
saw many kinds of padding placement to compensate for saddle and rider.

In the western world I have seen what is called a wither pad. I assumed it was
to raise the saddle off the withers. I could be wrong because I never asked
anybody I just read the label.

I guess I was really asking whether anyone else experienced this, and if they
had what did they do. I do not mean to hurt my horse, but you are right, done
poorly any saddle /rider combination if not fit right, can go badly. I didn't
give it a thought that it would go badly because I know how to fit a saddle.
But I have never owned a fjord. If people are telling me there is no
anatomical difference between a fjord and other "horses"  then I will toss my
lists of questions into the air and figure she is like any other horse. I was
just trying to explore and come up with a solution to a wonderful animal that
behaves and handles differently. She is fantastic! Otherwise, I will spend
however long it takes me to get her supple enough to make clean trot /canter
transitions and hope that will make the problem go away.

But in the meantime, on the trail, with other horses that may get her excited,
I was hoping I could position the saddle ( or buy a saddle) so that I could
ride out that trot as I would any other horses I have owned: Arab, quarter
horses, appy/draft, morgan, - and feel more comfortable in the saddle, riding
at what might potentially be a break neck trotting speed. Safety stops
aside...Accidents do happen.

Happy trails :)

Sincerely, Laura ;)

http://clk.atdmt.com/GBL/go/171222986/direct/01/