This message is from: Gail Russell <g...@zeliga.com>

I just had the vet out to look at Gunthar who is ouchy right now on harder
ground.  She hoof tested him and found a place on one toe that was sore.  She
thinks he might have rotated slightly in the past, and suggested possibly
radiographing the foot. I probably will not do that, but it probably would be a
good idea.

 I have another horse who has rotated in the past, and the rotation is still
there.  That horse did get to the point where he was very sound when we had him
trimmed every 4 weeks by a vet/barefoot trimmer.  The regular trimming (and
resultant keeping the toe short)  helps to get ahead of the rotation, as I
understand it.  I believe Gunthar may be having problems right now because our
trim schedule got stretched out for the past several trims.  My current plan is
to buy an abrasive trimming tool (waiting for Phil of abrasivetrimming.com
(something like that), to find a manufacturer of a light weight angle grinder
with a deadman type switch on it.....or...I might buy the Makita that people
are using as an alternative.  Have bought Phil's DVD.  My plan is to do some
touch up trimming between trims by our barefoot trimmer and see if I can get a
handle on things.  Will let you know how it works out.

If Oz's feet are not too big, I heartily recommend Renegade boots.

Some horses can go barefoot with no issues.  For others, it is a bit harder.
However, I believe it is worth the extra effort.  Eventually you will learn a
LOT, and, I predict, decide it is worth the extra effort to keep Oz barefoot.

Gail