This message is from: Starfire Farm <starfiref...@usa.net>

Hi Debby,

I agree with Kim, she is "right on" about the stoic but sensitive nature
of Fjords and Friesians, as well as some drafts and draft crosses I have
worked with. Because of their stoicism, they can be highly
misunderstood...especially by trainers who have the expectations of
"must do" types of disciplines like dressage and reining. I had someone
come to me with a Thoroughbred, complaining that she couldn't get along
with her horse and that it would blow up with her. When she showed up,
he was the kindest, sweetest horse that tried his heart out for her.
She, however, was an uptight, driving kind of rider (uptight by nature
with learned/taught "driving.") I learned later that her horse had
ulcers! No wonder. She is an "accomplished" dressage rider, but when I
put her on /my /solid horses.../they/ started blowing up! Her energy was
/so/ strong... she didn't have a "dimmer switch" (as I like to call it).
It took three tries to find the horse that could handle her energy while
I worked with her on turning down the volume, so to speak.

That doesn't mean that you can't ask a Fjord to perform for you...you
just have to do it the right way...with their self preservation in mind.
> I think a lot of us have; Fjords (like Friesians which I also own)
> seem stoic, but can be sensitive and do best with trainers that make a
> personal connection with the horse....

> Find a trainer that loves and appreciates your girl and makes friends
> with her first. Trust your instincts rather than just giving in to a
> trainer everyone says is great. What is great for one horse may not be
> for yours.

Good luck with your trainer search.

Beth

--