This message is from: "Jim Barnhart" <jb...@sleepyeyetel.net>

Hi Debbie, we've had a Cushings horse for a few years.  Ranec is a gelding
(not as common) and is 23 years old now.

He's been on Peroglide powder for at least 3-4 years and has been fine.  I
must admit his Cushings seems to be milder than I've heard from others.  His
symptoms were dramatic problems keeping weight on and excessive hairiness.
He has never had issues with his feet.

Like I said we've had trouble keeping weight on him, so our vet has him on
Safechoice from Nutrena.  He gets a grain scoop (about 2.5 quarts) of
safechoice in the morning and another grain scope in the evening. He also
gets 1/4 bale of mostly grass hay in the morning probably 1/3 of a bale in
the evening.  Ranec has his own place where he can eat at night.  Giving him
this much food every day has resulted in keeping his weight at a good spot.

We have him tested every year and his dosage seems to make him a 'normal'
horse.  We have to watch that he doesn't get cold or overheat.  We do ride
him, but this fall he did develop some lameness from ring bone starting to
form in his front leg joints.  As a result we've not planning on doing much
riding with him anymore, just maybe a lesson horse for our 3 year old
granddaughter as she starts to ride.

So, I'd have to say our Ranec lives a pretty normal life for the past few
years.  He's in the pasture with the other horses during the day and spends
his evening in a 16x36 dry pen with a lean for cover.