This message is from: jadeb...@aol.com

I agree that any horse seriously benefits from good training and consistant
handling and (IMO) the smarter the individual, the more they profit.  I
think Fjords, as a group, are less inclined toward hysteria than some other
breeds but NOBODY is born golden.  Witness the Shetland pony that gets a bad
rap as a kid's mount all the time.  Again IMO, size and brains qualify them as
the perfect child's mount if they are raised and trained like full-sized
horses.  However many are treated like stuffed animals...very little, if
anything, is taught to them or required of them. And then folks are surprised
when they have no manners and a very iffy work ethic. It often seems to be
assumed that because they're little and adorable they are also automatically
compliant, reliable mounts and companions.  Children need to be guided toward a
useful and responsible adulthood and so do horses...even the innately
loveable ones like ours.  Good training and time spent can put "strong-minded"
(a
concept with which I have no problem) on your side and, when that happens,
you can ride or drive your pony through fire.  I've been lucky.  I've got
great ponies and have had wonderful teachers for both them and me.  As a
result, I'm having fun and I'm not afraid.  It's been suggested to me that lack
of imagination may explain a certain amount of my lack of fear but - what the
heck.  So far, so good.

Kay Van Natta
and Braveheart, who says, "Charge!"
and Bogie, who says, "Fire?!  What fire?!"