 From: Steve McIlree
<st...@carriagehorse.com>
To: FH-L <fjordhorse@angus.mystery.com>
Sent:
Monday, July 2, 2012 3:07 PM
Subject: Salt

This message is from: Steve
McIlree <st...@carriagehorse.com>

Since Tank and Teddy spend much of each
day sculpting their salt block into
a beautifully abstract statuette, I
thought to do a bit of research on the
subject of horses and salt. Here is
what I found with some concentrated
Googling.

There seems to be no dispute
that horses need salt as a part of their diet,
but salt blocks are perhaps not
the best method to offer salt to them. Salt
blocks are made for cattle who
have rough tongues, and horses whose tongues
are smooth have a harder time
fashioning blocks into their artistic
visions. As a result they may chew the
salt which can lead to damage to
their teeth and even their jaws. Because of
this design flaw they may not
be able to get sufficient salt if it is
presented in blocks.

Every source I read seems to stress that horses are very
good at self
regulating their salt intake; unless they have been deprived of
salt or are
severely undernourished, they will not overdose. The preferred
method of
presenting their salt is loose granules in a container attached to a
fence
or stall, and they will eat what they need. Salt should not be added to
feed, because that would put the dosage in your hands rather than the
horses
mouth.

The take away seems to overwhelmingly be this, make sure your horses
have
access to plenty of salt, and they will know the amount to eat better
than
you ever could.

--
Steve
It is the mark of an educated mind to be able

Important
FjordHorse List Links:
FH-L
Archives: http://tinyurl.com/rcepw