This message is from: Lois Anne Starr <loisann...@gmail.com>

To add to the salt discussion...

My three beasties have 24/7 access to a 50# selenium salt block and a 50#
block 12:12 supplement block.  Most of the time they last up to 6 months or
longer.  They don't seem to have any trouble with licking or chewing on
them.  That's with three of them and deer working on them.  One year
though, I believe when we had a lot of hot days they went through the
blocks within 2 months.  That was of concern but when they were replaced,
consumption went back to "normal".  I think free choice is the way to go.
They know what they need.  And yes, they drink and pee alot too, but I
welcome it.  At least I know their kidneys are working. :D

They cool themselves down in the dry lot by hanging out at the stock tank,
dunking their heads in and swishing around hard so the water splashes their
faces, necks, chests and parts of the belly.  They create mud holes which
they then go and lay in to keep cool.  No...they haven't been watching
pigs.  Geier taught the others the water trick this summer so now the tank
has to be filled every day instead of every 3 days....At least they aren't
climbing into the tank like he does...

By the way, wild horses, even though they don't have access to salt blocks,
will go to areas with high concentrations of salt in the ground or out on
salt pans to get what they need.

--
Lois Anne, Gallant Geier, Silly Sunny and the Lovely Lana from Montana

Tell me, and I'll probably forget.
Show me, and I will remember,
Involve me, and I will understand.