This message is from: Rose or Murph <roseormu...@ywave.com>

Hi Everyone,

I know I have discussed this before.....but I am completely almost out of
answers, or things to try.

My mare has had chronic mild diarrhea. She is not sick, no fever, not
lethargic. Her manure is soft to completely runny on any given day. Sometimes
two runny piles, the rest normal and formed. Sometimes her hind end is covered
(today) with spatters all over her legs. Other times I call it liquid gas when
she passes gas and a small amount of manure fluid comes out just enough to make
a mess. I own stock in Costco baby wipes. Today I will have to give her a bath
it's that bad. I have had the vet out, did blood work, nothing shows up. Vet
thinks its the hay. I have tried local Washington grass hay, still runny on and
off, first and second cutting Timothy, still runny, have tried eastern
Washington orchard grass, gets anywhere from projectile diarrhea to normal on
that. I have tried supplements like yeasac, bio sponge, pro-bios, aloe juice
seemed to help a little. She has been wormed regularly. She gets 30 minutes to
one hour on pasture per day. The diarrhea seems to be worse in!
  wet weather which we have had lots of rain the last few days.

I have noticed some bloating on diarrhea days, which makes riding impossible. I
don't even try any more when I can tell she has had many piles of loose manure.
 I have taken her out on rides when I have seen maybe one runny pile prior to
rising, and then I notice her attitude is not as cooperative as usual, which I
can understand.

 I have thought about feeding papaya, to see if it helps. I have taken her off
all supplements and am sort of waiting it out before I try something different.
 I have even read about the water if its not the right ph levels it can upset
their stomach? Anyone heard of that? My well water runs about 6.4 ph. I have
heard about adding baking soda to the water to bring the ph level up?

I am really stumped as to why there would be normal formed piles and then
completely runny ones? Some days it's 50/50, one half runny, the other half
solid, normal. Other days maybe three runny piles the rest normal.

I also seems like the longer the grass in the pasture, the looser the piles. I
know I sound crazy, but this does drive me crazy.

Comments welcome.

Rosemary in Roy Wa.