This message is from: Gail Russell <g...@zeliga.com>

Ah, yes.  I assume there is the same problem with Pembroke Welsh Corgis as
they begin to select carrier and DM gene free dogs.  (Degenerative
Myopathy, I think).

Ruthie, how do we follow the path you are talking about having huge numbers
of horses that are physical or temperament disasters?  Seems like the best
idea would be to bring back the sausage factory down the street, as they
have in Norway ?  I do not think our economy will ever again allow massive
numbers of horses to be bred and live long lives, no matter their quality.
It does seem like a culling system is in order.  Ruthie, do you think the
old Norwegian culling system would have worked...with maybe more emphasis
on temperament and working ability, and less on good looks and perfect
conformation.  (The other thing to think about is that horses are living a
long time, and a conformational defect is now living on for 15 to 20 years
in an Adequan-laced pasture pet ...instead of being euthanized.  Ask me how
I know....with the $50 a month maintenance dosed 25 year old QH in the
backyard who has always had bad hocks due to being post legged, plus an
early roping history.  By the way, my vet says that the dirty little secret
about injectable Adequan is that, in many horses, it does not last a month.)

I have an interesting story about genetic selection in horses.  Ever heard
the phrase "crazy Paint Horse?"  A friend was telling me about her aunt who
allowed her horses to run free on BLM  (or possibly, Forestry) land.  The
woman raised Paint horses and sold the foals for good money.  She would
just go out and collect the foals in the early winter and raise them up a
year or two more and sell them.  Well, BLM/Forestry was having problems
with protected mountain lions in California getting into trouble.  They
would trap the troublemakers, and then turn them loose on the woman's
grazing ground.  Pretty soon, she started losing foals....but not all of
them.  The nutty ones with the short flight distances were surviving
because they bolted when they saw something moving in the bushes.  Pretty
soon, all of her stock was trending toward nutty

Am trying this WITHOUT hitting the 3 little dots.  My "dot section" at the
bottom of the e-mail indicates that what is behind it is "trimmed content."
 I think this means that I do not need to trim that unless I want to add
some of the old content to my reply.  We will see.

Gail