I really like this site. I would put someone through this to begin with.

*School of ActionScript*

These are video tutorials taking you from reading the book to real world usage. I recommend going through this ~2 day course. Broken down into sections.

*ActionScript 2.0 Class Fundamentals*

This series on writing ActionScript 2.0 Classes will introduce you to all the essentials elements needed to build sophisticated Flash applications. They continue to get progressively more difficult in skill level the further the lessons go building on what you have already learned in the previous segment. I have included in this series techniques I have made while using this language. I believe all who watch these videos will learn something from them. Below is an outline highlighting the discussion points.

http://www.flashextensions.com/categories/as2f/index.php

*ActionScript 2.0 Class Intermediate *

This series, we go beyond the basics of classes and focus on class types and implementation. This video series will complete the know-how of class strutures and prepares you for the final segment ActionScript 2.0 Class Advanced which focuses strictly on implementation of components and applications. It is recommended to view the ActionScript 2.0 Fundamentals <http://www.flashextensions.com/categories/as2f/index.php> series before viewing this series.

           http://www.flashextensions.com/categories/as2i/index.php

           *Design Patterns

*

Design Patterns are solutions to common problems developors face when designing an Object-Oriented system. This series will thoroughly cover over 25 common patterns.

           http://www.flashextensions.com/categories/dp/index.php

           *Flash Tips*

           Quick tips and techniques to building better Flash applications.

           http://www.flashextensions.com/categories/ftips/index.php

Wade Arnold wrote:

I am working on a list of resources that I would like to give to people that are migrating to flash from other languages. We have just hired a couple people that are CS graduates and others that have been in the java world for the last ten years. Any feedback on what you would want your new hires to review?

We have several good books that will get you started in comprehending flash.
Books:
    Macromedia Flash MX 2004 Hands-On Training
        You have to start somewhere
    Action Script for Flash MX
        aka the bible
    Flash Communication Server
        Wonderful overview of the technology
    Extending Flash MX 2004
        Automating the flash programming environment
    (still waiting for a good flash remoting book)
Weekly websites to review and bookmark:
http://osflash.org/
http://www.actionscript.com/
http://weblogs.macromedia.com/mxna/
Mailing lists:
FlashCoders:: Salvation for flash developers. Please don’t ask dumb questions on this list
OSFLASH
    http://osflash.org/mailman/listinfo/osflash_osflash.org
    Extending Flash
    http://www.flashguru.co.uk/extending-flash-mailing-list/

Flash Documentation:
This is the online version of what is already in your help files inside of flash.
    http://www.macromedia.com/livedocs/flash/mx2004/

Flash Technologies that we use:
    Read and understand all Actionscript 2.0 documentation.
http://www.macromedia.com/devnet/mx/flash/actionscript.html

Read and understand all of the version 2 component information.
http://www.macromedia.com/devnet/mx/flash/components.html

The Macromedia component Architecture.
http://www.macromedia.com/devnet/flash/articles/ component_architecture_03.html

Flash Remoting: This link is also included in your help files.
http://livedocs.macromedia.com/flashremoting/mx2004/ actionscript_api_reference/frameset.html

Links to remoting examples:
http://www.macromedia.com/devnet/flashremoting/

Example Applications to learn from others~!
http://www.macromedia.com/devnet/mx/flash/sample_apps.html
http://www.sephiroth.it/download.php

Software Development:

All software is designed first so you need to understand basic UML concepts. If you have not worked with UML it would be good to research UML on the web and start learning it as it is expect that you understand how to mark up a UML document and translate UML to code.

http://www.actionscript.com/index.php/fw/1/an-introduction-to-uml-key- concepts-applied-to-flash-development/

Design Patterns. You will find that we use many design patterns here. We ask ourselves “why”, If we find ourselves not using a pattern.
http://www.macromedia.com/devnet/mx/flash/articles/mv_controller.html
http://www.moock.org/lectures/introToPatterns/
http://java.sun.com/blueprints/patterns/

Requirments Gather. We use the Volere templates for all internal and client work. It will be good for you to understand these concepts and read through all the material. Your first programming assignment will come in this format.
http://www.systemsguild.com/GuildSite/Robs/Template.html

Application development in groups is almost impossible without unit testing. Flash has a direct port of Junit in actionscrupt.
http://www.asunit.org/

We love SubVersion and you will too! Please read up on subversion and how it works. Please read the tortoisesvn manual. http://tortoisesvn.sourceforge.net/docs/release/TortoiseSVN_en/help- onepage.html

The world needs XML. We just don’t need to know how to parse it. The world of XPATH is your friend. XPATH is like regular expressions for xml. Review these documents before starting any XML project.

    What is Xpath:
    http://www.w3.org/TR/xpath
xfactorstudio: third party Xpath Classes
    http://www.xfactorstudio.com/ActionScript/AS2/XPath/
Example:
    http://www.sephiroth.it/file_detail.php?id=130

    XPATH Explorer: writes the Xpath expression for you!!!!
    http://www.purpletech.com/xpe/

Xray (The AdminTool) is a “snapshot viewer” of the current state of your Flash application without impacting the performance or the file size of your application.
http://osflash.org/xray