if I got correctly the point, you're asking:
can I access children of an external swf loaded at any level into my project via MovieClip.loadMovie() or MovieClipLoader.loadClip()?
If not, sorry for bothering
If yes, I think: sure you can, as long as you know their instance name. If you don't, you'll have to work them out:

loadedMovie.loadMovie("externalSwf.swf");

/*
* now loadedMovie and externalSwf timelines overlap; if you know the child's instance name the work is done. * if you don't I'll do like this (but chances are ways are better than this one): * try to provide some <test_code> that lets you find in a not ambiguos way the desired child mc among other children mcs
*/

var desiredChildMovieClip:MovieClip;
for (var i in loadedMovie) {
   if(test_code) {
      desiredChildMovieClip = loadedMovie[i];

/*
*   so desiredChildMovieClip is the child you were looking for.
* if there's no such <test_code> thing, sorry I have no idea..
*/

HTH
francesco.p

Jim Tann wrote:
You need to import one movieclip from the child swf into the parent
swf's library & have it placed on the stage / inside a movieclip that is
exported for actionscript to have access to all of the elements in the
child swf's library.

Jim