> I think that says more about the average Director developer than about
> Flash or Macromedia. ;-)

Heh, I was joking to make a point.  I don't think anyone can claim to
know the future and label new technologies as "just hype", especially
not having delved into them personally to weigh the benefits for
themselves.

As it ends up, his comments were fueled solely by his dislike for Ruby's
syntax, which has nothing to do with whether or not Ruby on Rails is
deserving of the attention and praise it is getting.

His accusation that Rails causes database corruption was also not true
because it was a mistake on the coder's part due to his lack of
familiarity with Rails.  It's akin to saying Flash doesn't let you
attach multiple movieclips because I tried this and it only showed the
last clip I attached.

this.attachMovie("A_Clip", "clipA", 10);
this.attachMovie("Another_Clip", "clipB", 10);

The depths on the two movies are the same so the 2nd overwrites the
first.  If you didn't know that movieclips couldn't share depths, you
might think something was broken.

Here's an analogy for the exchange:

Me: Everyone is talking about Fish! They're saying Fish is the food of
the future and it's delicious!

Him: Fish is just hype.

Me: Have you ever eaten it?

Him: No, but some guy on the internet wrote that eating salmon gives you
cancer. And on top of that, I think fish smells bad.

:)