You actually can do it, it's just that the preview is always wrong (uses only one of the layers). Have you tried compiling it?

Maybe there's something else that causes problems (ie, using layer masks instead of setMask), but I've already used multi-layered movieclips as masks several times.

Zeh

No hints on that? :(